1980-83 BSc (Genetics) at Liverpool University followed by a short period as Lecturer in Genetics at the University of Ulster (1983-84).
Postgraduate at the University of the West of England (1984-87) where I did a PhD with Professor Alan Vivian working on the molecular genetics of the specificity of the host-parasite interaction between Pea blight (Pseudomonas syringae pv. Pisi) and its natural host Pisum sativum.
Postdoctoral position with Professor John Wyke at the Beatson Institute for Cancer Research (1987-91) working on putative transcriptional silencing elements present in the rat genome.
Higher Scientific Officer with John Norton at the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research (1991-00) working on the biological characterisation of a small helix-loop-helix protein (Id3) cloned from human B cells.
I have worked on the Aspergillus website and related projects since March 2000, managing it since 2001. I have extensively retrained in IT, culminating in the award of an MSc in Information Technology at the University of Liverpool in July 2005.
I set up and ran the Clinical Trials Database System at the University of Manchester (running since July 2003, completed in 2008), which was used to carry out several trials across europe. The results of one of these studies (the FAST study) has since been published - see below.
The National Aspergillosis Centre was opened in April 2009 and I have been leading the Quality of Life assessment and research program as well as the online patient support systems at the centre since its inception.
- Al-Shair K, Atherton GT, Harris C, Ratcliffe L, Newton PJ, Denning DW. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Sep;57(6):828-35. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit411. Epub 2013 Jun 20. Long-term antifungal treatment improves health status in patients with chronic pulmonary aspergillosis: a longitudinal analysis. abstract
- Al-shair K, Atherton GT, Kennedy D, Powell G, Denning DW, Caress A. Chest. 2013 Aug;144(2):623-31. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-0014. Validity and reliability of the St. George's Respiratory Questionnaire in assessing health status in patients with chronic pulmonary aspergillosis. abstract
- Denning DW, O'Driscoll BR, Powell G, Chew F, Atherton GT, Vyas A, Miles J, Morris J, Niven RM. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009 JAN 1;179(1):11-8.Randomized controlled trial of oral antifungal treatment for severe asthma with fungal sensitization: The Fungal Asthma Sensitization Trial (FAST) study. abstract
- Mabey Gilsenan JE, Atherton G, Bartholomew J, Giles PF, Attwood TK, Denning DW, Bowyer P. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 JAN;37(Database issue):D509-14. Aspergillus genomes and the Aspergillus cloud.abstract
- Yates PR, Atherton GT, Deed RW, et.al. EMBO J 18: (4) 968-976 FEB 15 1999. Id helix-loop-helix proteins inhibit nucleoprotein complex formation by the TCF ETS-domain transcription factors. abstract
- Norton JD, Atherton GT. Mol Cell Biol 18: (4) 2371-2381 APR 1998. Coupling of cell growth control and apoptosis functions of Id proteins. abstract
- Deed RW, Hara E, Atherton GT, et. al. Mol Cell Biol 17: (12) 6815-6821 DEC 1997. Regulation of Id3 cell cycle function by Cdk-2-dependent phosphorylation. abstract
- Vivian A, Atherton GT, Bevan JR, et. al. Physiol Mol Plant Pathol 34: (4) 335-344 APR 1989. Isolation and characterisation of cloned DNA conferring specific avirulence in Pseudomonas-syringae p.v. pisi to Pea (Pisum sativum) cultivars, which possess the resistance allele, R2. full text
- Bavage AD, Vivian A, Atherton GT, et. al. J Gen Microbiol 137: 2231-2239 Part 9 SEP 1991. Molecular-genetics of pseudomonas-syringae pathovar pisi - plasmid involvement in cultivar-specific incompatibility. abstract
E-mail: [email protected]